Search This Blog

Saturday, January 16, 2016

How I Stayed Healthy During Pregnancy

The 9 months of pregnancy was the healthiest I have ever been. Anyone will agree that having your first baby you tend to overthink and overdo things and you tend to go all out. And now looking back, I am super glad I did all of these things. 

Here are some ways on how I stayed healthy during pregnancy:

1. Eating a variety of wholesome foods: I ate a variety of different foods, concentrating on superfoods. We limited eating out as much as we could. I stayed away from processed foods and cooked quite a bit. I indulged on the weekends. I also followed the Bradley Method diet starting at 20 weeks. 

2. Prenatals: Garden of Life Vitamin Code RAW PrenatalNew Chapter Perfect Prenatal Multivitamin Both are great! And my midwife suggested a Vitamin D supplement as well. 

3. Water: I drank so much I almost floated away. I also gave up on coffee, but did have a cup here and there in my third trimester.

4. Dental Health: When my husband and I just met my midwife (at about 6 weeks), my husband asked her what was the number one reason women miscarry, and after a long pause, she answered "poor dental health." Thankfully a few months before I got all the dental work that needed to be done. I also got a cleaning half way into my pregnancy. Note: Of course this is not the only reason, just one of many in her 40+ years of delivering babies. 

5. Exercise: As far as exercise, I wasn't as consistent as I was with my diet. However, I did do Tracy Anderson: The Pregnancy Project about 1x/week. I took the stairs to our 8th floor apartment vs the elevator, and practiced the Bradley Method exercises that prepared me for a natural childbirth. I gained 36 lbs total (and in case you're wondering, I'm 3 lbs away from my pre-pregnancy weight).

6. House plants: In all honesty, I don't know a thing about plants, except that they purify the air and that is one of the biggest reasons why hubby and I went out and bought three plants and my mother-in-law gifted me two after finding out my "new thing for plants." Haha. She is the sweetest. 

7. Air Purifier: My first trimester migraines went away a week after using the air purifier. Not sure if it has anything to do with it, but it helped to breathe cleaner air! We purchased the IQAir® HealthPro® Plus Air Purifier.

8. Chiropractic: During pregnancy, your joints will start shifting to make room for the growing baby and you will become very unstable.This can lead to a lot of discomfort. A chiropractor can help with lower back pain, sciatic nerve pain, migraines, and a list of other things! A chiropractor will align your pelvis to help your baby reach optimal positioning. It has also been said that women that received chiropractic care, had smoother labor and deliveries. I started at about 16 weeks and got my last adjustment at 38 weeks, going once a week. 

9. Epsom Salt Baths: These were amazing! If you are pregnant, you must get yourself some Epsom salts. Epsom salt baths are actually recommended during pregnancy since this is a way to boost your magnesium intake--a needed mineral to help build and repair tissues in your cute pregnant body. It will also ease your aches and pains, especially in third trimester! I purchased mine at Marlene's Natural Food Market but found a super good deal here. Make sure your Epsom salts are unscented and natural! 

10. Prenatal Massage: OK, this is more of a luxury and my hubby definitely spoiled his swollen wifey, lol ;) I got a package of 4 massages and waited to use them toward the end of my pregnancy-- totally helped  my sciatica that came on towards the end. Can I just tell you that a prenatal massage feels so much better than a regular massage!

11.  Prayer: Pregnancy was also a time that I sought the Lord even more. Pregnancy can be a roller-coaster ride and I ran to the Lord to help me through my lowest moments. He is the one that blessed my husband and I with this child. I trusted God completely with the health of my baby and my own health. 

Psalm 127:3-5
Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate. 

And since I'm a foodie, here's some of my prego eats ;)

Not healthy, but I was obsessed with croissants for about a week straight! True story.

Tuna salad on Dave's Killer Bread with a cup of buttermilk.

Buckwheat with a coconut vegetable curry and salmon.

Pineapple Dole Whip.

Oatmeal with granola, banana, blueberries and nuts. 

Snack: Smoked salmon, carrots, veggie chips, and those triangle cheeses. 

Cobb salad with homemade peanut dressing.

Veggie omelet with Greek yogurt and avocado. 
Steak tacos. Hubby went with tortillas and I chose lettuce.

I hope this post was helpful to those expecting little ones!
Blessings,
Alina 

2 comments:

  1. Such a lovely and informative post, and your photos made me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you found it to be informative! And oh no! Not sure if that's a good or bad thing ;)

      Delete