I heart eggplant anything.
But mostly if it's with mayo + garlic + tomato.
I know, I know this is supposed to be a health inspired blog and mayo is not considered to be a health food. But lets face it, it's real life we are living, and sometimes eating whatever we want is totes okay. You can, however, totally substitute mayo with Greek yogurt if you want a "healthified" version of this appetizer.
The eggplant spread itself I believe was introduced by my aunt Stella, who I haven't seen for over a decade; she lives in Ukraine.
I know many people make different versions of this appetizer but I love it most as a spread, on a toasted baguette.
-2 regular size eggplants
-2 Tbsp. mayo
-4 garlic cloves
-1 tomato on the wine (or whatever tomatoes you'd like)
-1 organic french baguette (got mine from Trader Joe's)
-1/2 onion, chopped + sauteed
-2-3 Tbsp. olive oil
-pinch of salt + pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and grease with olive oil.
2. Slice rinsed eggplant in half lengthwise, then cut each half in quarters lengthwise. Roast until softened and golden brown for 40 min, turning eggplant over at 20 min.
3. While your eggplant is roasting, sautee your onion with olive oil until caramelized, 5 min. Add pinch of salt + pepper.
4. Slice your baguette (I used my dandy electric bread slicer) and lightly brush it with some olive oil. While your eggplant is nicely roasted and cooling off, toast your baguette for about 5 min (your oven should still be on from roasting your eggplant).
5. In your food processor (or blender or using your potato masher), pulse your eggplant until desired consistency. In a mixing bowl, combine your pulsed eggplant with mayo, crushed garlic and sauteed onions. Top your toasted baguette with your yummy spread (best refrigerated and cold) and sliced tomato.
Enjoy your tea sandwich with a cup of your favorite tea! :)
Note: The spread is also delicious on a regular piece of bread (Ezekiel, my fav!), topped with gouda cheese, smoked salmon and tomato. A delicious combo!